Different By Design - Science Week Excursion Package
- Duration: 5 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Hillarys, WA
- Product code: PLYBWW
CELEBRATE SCIENCE WEEK WITH A DAY OF DISCOVERY AND INVESTIGATION.
Students embark on a quest to discover the link between a sea creatures unique features and its food. In this celebration of ocean extremes students will learn about animals that are different by design plus what and how they eat.Form and function, observable features, a living animal’s basic needs and the way objects move through water are the focus of enquiry with concepts of floating, friction and magnetic force also incorporated.
Available: Term 3, 2021 and then on request.
Your special excursion package includes:
- Full day experience from 9.30am - 2pm
- Exclusive use of AQWA's Function centre as your "hub" for the day
- Entry to all of AQWA's exhibits
- AQWA Ocean Guide / Education Manager with you all day to facilitate the excursion, run activities and answer questions
- Science Week Themed Presentations from AQWA educator
- Themed Activity (outlined below)
- Activity sheet to complete during your focused exploration
- Free tea/coffee for teachers
- A free kids return pass to AQWA for each student
- PP - Year 2: Size, shape and movement! This fun filled activity is all about speed, swimming styles, catching food and not ending up as dinner! And did I mention .. slime!
- Year 3-4: Students become masters of form and function as we explore the extreme world of sharks. After investigating body design, teeth and senses, students apply their knowledge to design their ultimate shark.
- Year 5-6: Built to survive - What does it take to survive in the oceans most extreme habitats? Students gain an insight into a range of structural features - from oily livers to suctions cups, inside out stomachs and aeroplane wings - then take part in AQWA’s Flying Fish Challenge!
Example Timetable (The exact timetable is dependent upon your number and year group splits and will be confirmed at the time of booking)
9.30am - Arrival, AQWA Presentation - Ocean Extremes
10.00am - Morning tea, Explore AQWA (rotation 1)
11.00am - Themed activity (rotation 2)
12.30pm - Lunch
1pm - Focused exploration of AQWA including shark tooth sand pit search (rotation 3)
2pm - End of day
Plus - Collect your recyclables and bring them to AQWA
We want there to be more fish in the ocean than plastic! To reduce plastic pollution and give waste plastic a new life, AQWA has teamed up with GreenBatch. As part of this positive step for change we are asking you to start collecting your recyclables – your glass, plastics and tetra packs, and bring them with you to AQWA. Instead of ending up in the ocean your plastic will support the ocean as funds from any eligible containers for change are given directly to the AQWA foundation.
Established nearly two decades ago the AQWA foundation cares for sick and injured turtle’s at the turtle pool.
Turtles are a keystone species for the ocean. This means that their survival is vital to the health of the ocean. Turtles encourage the growth of sea grass beds and ensure that there is room for all types of coral on a reef. This is why it is so important that sick and injured turtles , are cared for and then returned back to the wild so that they can continue their important role and so that we can learn more about them along the way. And you can help us do it!
Start collecting your recyclables today – and we’ll see you soon at AQWA!