Excursion Package - Visit & Wildlife Rescue Activity (+1 hour)
- Duration: 1 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Hillarys, WA
- Product code: PQ3C1M
Inspire your students to become ocean guardians with our turtle-boosted Wildlife Rescue Excursion Package, crafted for all ages and lead by our knowledgeable Education team.
- As of 16/01/22, face masks are required at AQWA for all patrons aged 12+.
- As of 31/01/22, Government mandated proof of vaccination or medical exemption will be required to enter AQWA for all those aged 16+. While AQWA respects individual's freedom of choice, we are required by State Government regulations to comply with the Chief Medical Officer's directions. Children aged 15 and under don't need to show proof of vaccination.
- Ongoing measures: check-in via the SafeWA/ServiceWA app or contact register is mandatory. Physical distancing is required and is up to all of us to uphold.
What to Expect:
This excursion package includes a 1-hour additional activity which shellabrates the amazing features of turtles! Your students will become experts on everything turtle - from exploring their habitats, to understanding threats to survival and discovering the unique roles they play within ecosystems. Students will also gain practical knowledge on how to save turtles, like what to do if you find a stranded turtle, and how technology and research guide conservation.
Excursion Package Includes:
- Entry to all of AQWA's exhibits, as per a standard excursion
- Themed Wildlife Rescue turtle talk by AQWA Ocean Guide / Education Manager (approx. 15 mins)
- Meet our rescue turtles*(approx. 15 mins): learn their story, watch a feeding and discover the technology used to tag and monitor released turtles.
- Take part in a hands-on activity (approx. 20-25 mins): Turtle researcher: use our plush model turtles to collect data, like researchers do in the field! Scan for tags using real equipment, identify species by ID charts and record measurements for size and weight.
- Use of AQWA's spacious Function Centre for lunch/recess
- BRING 3 FOR THE SEA! Support AQWA Foundation's turtle rehabilitation program and reduce rubbish in the ocean by collecting "10c refund" marked containers for change. Have each student aim to bring 3 eligible containers to donate during your excursion and your school will receive a Certificate of Acknowledgement for helping the AQWA Foundation! See more below.
Need To Know:
- This excursion package is available Monday-Friday during school term, by request. Select your preferred date, follow the prompts to submit your enquiry and our Education Manager will be in touch to confirm your booking.
- Your Wildlife Rescue activity can be booked for 10am, 11am, 12pm or 1pm and has a duration of 1 hour. Please note students should be assembled and ready to meet your Ocean Guide at least 10 minutes prior to your selected activity time.
- Bring 3 For the Sea: “By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish”. To prevent this prediction from coming true, AQWA has teamed up with Containers for Change and we are asking every visitor to bring 3 plastic bottles with them to AQWA. Instead of ending up in the ocean, your plastic will help protect endangered marine turtles with funds from eligible containers given directly to the AQWA foundation.
- *Rescue turtles are often in our care, though this is not guaranteed. No turtles at the moment? That's actually great! It means no sick or injured turtles are requiring our help. We still have a resident loggerhead turtle to meet in the Shipwreck Coast tunnel and tonnes of turtle facts to discover.