Excursion Package - Shark Biologist (+1 hour experience)
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Hillarys, WA
- Product code: PZ1F17
Let your students sink their teeth into some juicy elasmobranch science before climbing aboard our Glass Bottom Boat for an up-close observation of our sharks! Suitable for students in years 7-10.
What to Expect:
This excursion package includes a standard visit to AQWA, plus a 20 minute presentation by our Education Guide/Manager and a Glass Bottom Boat ride across our 3 million litre shark aquarium! The talk will cover; classification & identification, unique features & extreme abilities (adaptations), diversity and ancestry of key shark species. On the Glass Bottom Boat, students will discover how divers feed our sharks; observe and feel real shark teeth and have the change to feed fish from the surface of the largest single aquarium in Australia! This excursion package is ideal for specialist marine science or biology studies, for students in lower secondary school.
Excursion Package Includes:
- Entry to all of AQWA's exhibits, as per a standard excursion
- Opportunity to see behind the scenes of a major aquarium!
- Themed Shark Biologist presentation by AQWA Education Guide (approx. 20 mins), once per excursion.
- Glass Bottom Boat ride, 8 students & 1 teacher per boat (approx. 30 mins), up to 4 boats per day.
Need To Know:
- This excursion package is available Monday-Friday during school term, by request
This is a discounted product available exclusively to WA schools only who book an excursion Monday-Friday during school term. Excludes public and school holidays.
- There is a minimum of 16 students to book and a maximum of 36 students per day.
- You can arrive for your Excursion any time from 9am; please nominate your arrival time in the Additional Information section of the booking process.
- Guided portion of excursion package has a duration of approx. 50 mins - 1hour. Remaining excursion time is self-guided.
- Presentation commences at 11.30am. Students should be assembled and ready to meet the Ocean Guide at least 10 minutes prior to your activity.
- Boat sessions will occur up to 4x per day. Students will need to form groups of 8 + 1 teacher.
- For groups 36+, please complete the booking enquiry our Education Manager will contact you to confirm how we can accommodate you.
Before Your Excursion:
- Get students excited for their excursion by involving them in our Bring 3 For the Sea initiative!
- “By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish”. To help prevent this looming prediction from coming true, AQWA has teamed up with Containers for Change and we are asking every student and visitor to bring three 10c marked containers with them to donate to the AQWA Foundation.
- This small challenge will support AQWA Foundation's turtle rehabilitation program AND reduce rubbish in the ocean and in landfill.
- Simply have each student bring 3 eligible containers to donate during your excursion and your school will receive a Certificate of Acknowledgement for helping the AQWA Foundation! When you book an AQWA excursion, we'll even post out a Containers for Change collection bag to start gathering your containers before you visit!
*Rescue turtles are often in our care, though this is not guaranteed. No turtles at the moment? That's actually great! It means no sick or injured turtles are requiring our help. We still have a resident loggerhead turtle to meet in the Shipwreck Coast and this program can be modified to include an alternative animal feeding.