Homeschool Group Day - Wildlife Rescue (+1 hour Activity)
From AUD $22.00
- Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Hillarys, WA
- Product code: PDBELW
Inspire your student to become ocean guardians with our Wildlife Rescue, an exciting turtle-themed education activity crafted for all ages and lead by our knowledgeable Guides.
What to Expect:Join other home school families in a tailored 1-hour additional activity which shell-abrates the amazing features of turtles! Students will become experts on everything turtle; from exploring their habitats, to understanding threats to survival and discovering the unique roles they play within ecosystems. Students will examine human impact on ecosystems and also gain practical knowledge on how to save turtles, like what to do if you find a stranded turtle, and how technology and research guide conservation.
Availability:Wildlife Rescue is suitable for primary school students from PP-Y6 and activities can be tailored to suit each student's abilities. Bookings essential:
- Wednesday 2 November
- Entry to all of AQWA's exhibits for 1 student and 1 free educator
- Themed Wildlife Rescue turtle talk by AQWA Education Guide (approx. 15 mins)
- Meet our rescue turtles*(approx. 15 mins): learn their story, watch a feeding and discover the technology used to tag and monitor released turtles.
- Take part in a hands-on activity (approx. 20-25 mins): Turtle researcher: use our plush model turtles to collect data, like researchers do in the field! Scan for tags using real equipment, identify species by ID charts and record measurements for size and weight.
Need To Know:
- You can arrive at AQWA from 9am.
- Please be ready to meet your Education Guide at least 10 minutes prior to your activity start time.
- The Wildlife Rescue activity session has a guided duration of approx. 1 hour.
- Infants aged 0-2 accompanying the Educator are free. Additional siblings aged 3+ need to pay the Student rate.
- Only available for registered home school educators and their student/s. Please bring a copy of your government issued Home School Certification.
- Not valid for Daycare, Home daycare or any other child-minding providers who receive fees for their services.
Before Your Excursion:
- Get students excited for their excursion by involving them in our Bring 3 For the Sea initiative!
- “By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish”. To help prevent this looming prediction from coming true, AQWA has teamed up with Containers for Change and we are asking every student and visitor to bring three 10c marked containers with them to donate to the AQWA Foundation.
- This small challenge will support AQWA Foundation's turtle rehabilitation program AND reduce rubbish in the ocean and in landfill.
- Simply have each student bring 3 eligible containers to donate during your visit; we have a Containers For Change donation bin at the front entrance to AQWA.
*Rescue turtles are often in our care, though this is not guaranteed. No turtles at the moment? That's actually great! It means no sick or injured turtles are requiring our help. We still have a resident loggerhead turtle to meet in the Shipwreck Coast and this program can be modified to include an alternative animal feeding.